St. Peter’s Church is one of the oldest and most valuable structures of monumental architecture from the middle ages in the Baltic States. Located in historical old Riga, the church was included in the UNESCO World Heritage list in 1997.
The first recorded mention of St. Peter’s Church was in 1209. In 1690, Riga city architect Rupert Bindenschu led the celebratory unveiling of the new church tower, which was built using baroque architectural shapes and with several cupolas and galleries.
St. Peter’s Church suffered fire damage during WW II. Reconstruction of the 123,25m- high tower was finished in 1973. The hight of the lookout point of the church is 73m from which opens magnificent panorama of Riga. In 1983, the spacious church hall become a venue for cultural events. Its interior was supplemented with renewed art monuments that had been preserved, as well as epitaphs inscribed on coats of arms.